Thursday, February 5, 2009

Parallel Universe

"I wonder
somewhere
in my subconscious,
when I'm thinking about myself,
about me
in a parallel universe
just maybe
would i think
about me
in a parallel universe?"


I am reading a book my co-worked lent me called, "A History of the Universe". It's a book about the universe according to the British television show about time travel called "Doctor Who". It's awesome.

Anyway, I'm fascinated by the concept of a parallel universe. There are so many mysteries in this world and we know about .04984349489498494898% about life. There is so much more out there. Apparently, events can be different in parallel worlds, but they all started the same. It's just different choices we've made.

"In 1954, a young Princeton University doctoral candidate named Hugh Everett III came up with a radical idea: That there exist parallel universes, exactly like our ­universe. These universes are all related to ours; indeed, they branch off from ours, and our universe is branched off of others. Within these parallel universes, our wars have had different outcomes than the ones we know. Species that are extinct in our universe have evolved and adapted in others. In other universes, we humans may have become extinct."


We've all thought about a parallel universe in some capacity. Such as what would have happened if you had gone to that college? What would have happened if you continued dating that guy? What if you had reacted differently? What if your mom hadn't gone out that night and met your dad? What would her parallel universe have been like?

It's fascinating, really. But, alas, it's meaningless because this parallel universe is the only one that matters right now.

No comments: