Friday, August 17, 2007

Annabelle Blue's FYI

NOTE: So, I had a health article almost finished for today about thyroid problems, but I felt compelled to share something that happened to me today at work. This is a race issue so be forewarned that this might offend.

Not Black Enough

Sooooooooo, I've graduated college. I'm 23. I'm in the "real world." I used to be teased for not being "black" enough in elementary, middle and early high school, but I thought I was over that accusation. In college I managed to avoid it. But does it ever go away?

One of my white co-workers told me another black co-worker said, in my office once I left the room, that (in reference to me) "She don't act black." Mind you, this black co-worker rubbed me the wrong way from day one because she was always gossiping, so I've purposely distanced myself away from her. She was also the same woman who kept asking me what else was I besides black. I have learned over the years not to trust people who are overly concerned with my race or ethnic background, particularly if they're black themselves.

My dislike for her has nothing to do with her being black. One of my first friends at my job was black, but she left the company. I would never distance myself from fellow black officemates simply because of the color of their skin . . .but I also won't just be someone's friend because of the color of their skin either.

This is making me angry, even though I thought I was over people trying to tell me who I am and who I'm not bullshit. It's bringing up old emotions that I forgot I could feel. I am black. Maybe I don't talk like you. Maybe I don't act like you. Maybe I don't look like you, but I am black, too. And if I claim to not care about race or admit my non-black heritage, then it further proves their point that I'm "not black enough." What gives.

Why do black girls do this to each other?

Perhaps it's because of their own insecurities. It's not my ultimate goal, not would it serve any personal purpose for me at this point in my life, to figure out WHY they say such things without reverence to someone of their OWN color or regard as to WHAT they're insinuating. HOW DOES A BLACK PERSON HAVE TO TALK? HOW DO THEY HAVE TO ACT? WHAT MUSIC ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO LISTEN TO? Sorry, but I must have missed that day of school where we were taught all of these essential guidelines for being born with brown skin. Please enlighten me.

And FYI- black does not equal ghetto/ebonics/the 'hood. Seriously. That is so disrespectful. Way to perpetuate stereotypes.

No comments: