Sunday, November 11, 2007

Letter from the Editor (or Writer)

Good morning!

Here I am in bed, making no rush to get my ass to the gym. I really don't feel like it. I'd rather do stuff around the house that needs doing. I was also supposed to do lunch with a friend, but I'm not sure about that either. I think I need a little "me time" before work tonight.

Yesterday I got my hair trimmed on a whim. I've been thinking about it for awhile, but I'm trying to grow my hair out. The problem was that I couldn't even wear my hair down because it was soooooo uneven and I had so many split ends. So I got a trim and, OF COURSE, she cut too much. But at least it looks better down now. I just get so mad now when I get my hair trimmed because I know it's "just hair," but what gives a hair stylist the right to just chop it off if you didn't ask for it to be done? Ugh.

I also saw Ani DiFranco in concert last night. She played at a symphony hall, which was beautiful. I love symphony halls. It made me nostalgic for singing when I was young in various halls and going to plays in London. I need to take more advantage of the cultural happenings in Washington, DC and Baltimore . . .

Anyway, Ani DiFranco was just as amazing as you'd expect. It was my first time seeing her, so I was very excited. She is also playing at 9:30 Club this Friday, but it'll be a whole different atmosphere. At the concert last night, we all had assigned seats, which we were all seated in and the fucking couple in front of me kept on making out and hugging! I couldn't see over the guys head, so I had to move when they moved. We couldn't sing along with Ani because my friend said that Ani doesn't like it because it takes her away from the place she was when she wrote it. That is so true, especially with her very, very personal and specific to place and time lyrics. This all made for a very different concert going experience for me, but very nice (except for the couple in front of me). Ani is amazing.

Why are some lesbians so hateful towards straight people, particularly (obviously) men. I just don't get it. Why are they so angry? I'm sure there are some happy lesbians who don't hate men or heterosexuality, but some of them are just as close-minded and judgmental as homophobic assholes. Case in point, I went to the bathroom and two girls were talking about the "annoying" STRAIGHT couple who were shouting things out" during the concert. Why did you need to add that they were straight? How is that relevant to the story? Well, duh, because straight couples are obnoxious and loud, that's why! And they think they're better than everyone else because they're straight! And why in the hell are they at Ani DiFranco because ONLY lesbians like her! But, she's not a lesbian anymore and she's married to a man and she had his baby and that makes me SO ANGRY! Blahblahblah. I've noticed it time and time again with a lot of members of the gay community. I get it, you're gay. You don't need to be rude and make everything a gay vs straight issue. Maybe it's just that way with the younger ones that I've encountered and maybe the more evolved ones can see past the ridiculous separation that they inflict themselves.

Gay, straight, fat, thin, ugly, pretty, smart, dumb, black, white, single, married, innie, outtie . . .we're all the same, so it's so stupid to single each other out all the time.

Enjoy your Sunday, loves. ♥

A

No comments: