Thursday, September 6, 2007

Trés Belle Girl of the Week

I've had the pleasure of knowing Liesje since middle school. I love how she has something in mind and she goes for it. I love that she took hip-hop/salsa lessons for no other reason than she wanted to. I love how she's well-traveled, but neither elitist nor pretentious. I love how she doesn't care about what anyone else thinks. I'm so glad to have gotten to know her better since we all came back home from our various post-college pursuits in January.

Let's meet Liesje . . .



Name: Liesje Sandler

Age: 23

Where's your favorite place to be?
Somewhere I've never been. Or in my bed, depending on my mood and level of sleep deprivation at that moment.

What do you think is beautiful?
The world! Ok, probably too broad. But I do think the diversity of attitudes, cultures, and forms of artistic expression that you can find in this world is a beautiful thing. I wish there was some way I could capture the energy from all of the colors, flavors, textures, and sounds into a bottle.

Are you living your dream? If so, how? If not, what are you doing to reach it? I don't think I can say that I'm living my dream right now so much as working toward it. Everything I'm doing now with work and school, I'm doing because I think it will help me reach my dream life.

If money weren't an issue, how would you live your life? I would definitely spend a lot more time traveling, particularly doing international volunteer work. I'd also pursue more of my whims, like, say, taking painting classes one day and learning to play the drums the next. Other than that, I think I'd be doing pretty much the same things I do now, because despite my complaints, I do find them fulfilling. I'd definitely buy more shoes.

Describe your favorite outfit? I don't have a specific favorite, but in general it would be something that included at least one very bold color or pattern, a funky pair of shoes, and some obnoxiously conspicuous piece of jewelry. I like things with polka dots.

What's your favorite word? "Esoteric". And "fuck".

What makes you unique? I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere in search of a new experience. I don't regret things I've done in the past, even if I'm well aware that they were stupid, pointless, or unhealthy, because everything I've done in the past forms a little piece of who I am now. My only exception to this is that I do regret the times in the past that I've hurt people. And I remember those things forever-seriously.

I give people the benefit of the doubt at first, so I often find myself defending the motives of people I don't know. If they prove themselves undeserving of that courtesy, that becomes another story.

What's your drink of choice? Pisco sour.

What are your three favorite albums? Wow, that's a hard one. And if you ask me next week, my answers will probably change. Right now: "Cuando los ángeles lloran" by Maná, "Limón y sal" by Julieta Venegas and "Sympathique" by Pink Martini.

If you could give the 13-year-old you any advice whatsoever, what would it be?
You are not an adult, trust me. One day you will be one, and at that point it will be a total surprise to you. Also, the vast majority of what is going on in your life right now, you will have completely forgotten about in 10 years without even having done any drugs. One day, there will be some people who actually think you're cool, and you don't need to change yourself to make that happen, just be yourself. Oh yeah, and try harder in math class so you're not mathematically incompetent when you're 23.

- - -

You're beautiful.

1 comment:

joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

You must not feel obliged to come and visit me. An invitation is not an intimation. Also know that if you click on one of my ads I'm promised to earn a couple of cents for that: I would feel happy and rewarded (because I realy need it!!!) if you did click it, but once again you're totaly free to do what ever you want. I, for instance, choose immediatly to click on one of your ads, in case you have them. To do so or not, that's the whole beauty of it all, however, blogocitizens must unite also by clicking-helping eachother when we know cybermegacorporations profit from our own selfishness regarding to that simple click.

About this I must say, by my own experience, that no one realy cares (maybe a few) about this apeal I make, still I believe in my Work and Dreams and thus I'll keep on apealing and searching so strong is my will.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge (though you can use the translater BabelFish at the bottom of my page!) and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!