Friday, October 26, 2007

The Universe

I think it's laughable when people try to tell me there's "nothing" after you die. How can you prove there's nothing? You have faith in there being nothing just like I have faith in they're being SOMETHING because neither of us have died yet. What is the purpose of life, then? Don't come at me with some scientific bullshit because, although I believe in biology and what not to explain most things, I don't believe you can use science to talk about what happens after you die.

Maybe I'm off topic here. This has little to do with death and more to do with being alive. Maybe I have angels looking out for me, in the Judeo-Christian concept, or maybe, and which is more pragmatic for me today, the Universe simply gives you what you ask for. Time and time again things happen to me that I cannot simply brush of as coincidence. I want something, specifically, and I get it. My intuition, something that everyone has, tells me something and it turns out to be true. Go ahead and laugh and think I'm crazy, I don't really care. I know some people might think I'm crazy, and that's totally fine. Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not . . .

This is my reality. This is my dream. I cannot control everything in this, but I can think positive to attract good. I can help others and I can be a good person.

It's really hard to keep this frame of mind amid everything and everyone else, but if our true goal in life is to just "be happy," as the Dali Lama states, then that's what I'm going to do. And when you follow the path of true happiness, I believe things come easier and, like Santiago experienced in "The Alchemist", the Universe conspires to get you there.

Of course, there will be obstacles that erupt outside of your control or that are, more often than not, self-inflicted, but ultimately, if you keep your goal in mind, it'll happen.

You see, I'm an optimist at heart, although I can be a moody, sarcastic, dark person when it comes to some matters (particularly in love), I just have this odd "feeling" that everything will work out in the end.

So thank you, Universe, from the bottom of my heart.

Edit: This also brings to mind a conversation I had with one of my friends about the idea of autonomy and self-fulfilling prophecies for people in Third World countries and America who are economically disadvantaged. These people don't have the knowledge and economic tools, realistically, to be as positive about life as a privileged American of the educated middle-class. I don't know if I necessarily agree with this, but I know I cannot validate my "luck" or privilege. I was not born in the slums of Peru or raised in poverty in Ethiopia. I have never even been to a Third World country. I can only speak from where I'm from and from my experience. What good would it be for me to be so depressed about extreme poverty that I even couldn't see what I've been given in my own life? Maybe one day I will help those people who need it, but I think it would be unwise for me to dwell on their circumstances and ignore my own. My life isn't perfect either. I am definitely blessed, but I feel as though I should not have to feel guilty as a result of being so.

No comments: